LAUNCH OF THE ‘ILLAWARRA BREAST CANCER RESOURCE PROJECT’
This project was a community initiative sponsored by the Illawarra Cancer Carers
Aims of the Project
* To provide information to people who have been diagnosed with breast cancer, that is current, relevant, accurate and credible;
* To provide a resource to local people that collates a lot of local information that is already available but not well known and/or not available in the one location;
* To encourage self-empowerment by those diagnosed with breast cancer (so people can make informed decisions based on local, current information); and
* To provide a community resource (so information is also readily accessible to family/friends/carers).
1. Illawarra Breast Cancer Resource Directory
A hard copy A5 sized booklet that provides contact information on medical services and facilities, support services, support programs, financial assistance, accommodation, support groups, post treatment, etc, that are local to the Illawarra was developed. The final hard copy booklet is mainly being distributed to people who are either newly diagnosed with breast cancer or currently undergoing treatment for breast cancer. Funding for the printing of the Directory was kindly donated by the Illawarra Cancer Carers and Cancer Patient Support Group Illawarra.
Key locations where hard copies of the booklet are available:
* Wollongong Public Hospital – Breast Care Nurses, Cancer Council Information Centre, Cancer Care Centre/Ward; and Illawarra Cancer Carers Office;
* Wollongong Private Hospital – Breast Care Nurse; and
* Local Organisations – eg Cancer Patient Support Group Illawarra, local Breast Cancer Support Groups etc.
Electronic copies of the final booklet (in pdf format) are available free to view or download from the following websites: * Illawarra Cancer Carers: http://illawarracancercarers.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Breast-Cancer-Resource-Directory-click-here.pdf and
* Cancer Patient Support Group Illawarra: http://www.cancersupportillawarra.org.au/images/breast%20cancer%20resource%20directory.pdf
2. Resources – Wollongong City Council Central Library
A range of resources relating to breast cancer were donated to Wollongong City Council’s Central Library, including fact sheets, CDs, DVDs and books. These resources are now available for loan. Whilst some resources were obtained at no cost, many were able to be purchased as a result of a local Pink Sports Hockey Day fundraiser held by Dapto Hockey Club, which raised $1,000.00. The Club then also generously donated $500.00 towards the project.
By centralising the resources at the Wollongong Central Library, they can be loaned out to the broader community for free, and items can be inter-loaned to other Council libraries within Wollongong Local Government Area (ie Helensburgh, Thirroul, Corrimal, Unanderra, Dapto, and Warrawong). To look at all the breast cancer related resources available to be loaned at all of Wollongong City Council libraries, go to http://www.wollongong.nsw.gov.au/library then type in words such as “breast cancer” & select the Search button. You can then sort or refine your search further. Or you can phone Wollongong City Council’s Central Library on 4227 7414.
3. Public Launch at completion of the project
A public launch promoting near completion of the project was held at the Dapto Ribbonwood Centre on Tuesday 27th September 2016, to coincide with Breast Cancer Awareness Month. The Launch was opened by Anna Watson, MP for Shellharbour, and attended by medical practitioners, support groups, community groups, Breast Care Nurses, people affected by breast cancer etc. Thanks go to the kind staff at Dapto Library for displaying a lot of the resources at the launch that were purchased as part of the project.
How was all this achieved?
Many medical practitioners, government departments, businesses, community groups, support groups and individuals.
IBCRP Project Coordinator: Helen Jessup Email: email@example.com